September 2, 2013 by Janna Roznos
I’m late posting on my Burda quest garment for August. August was one of those months where a lot was happening, but I didn’t seem to get much done.
From the August Burda,
I decided to sew these trousers.
I traced/sewed a size 42. I altered the inseam – straighten it out a bit from the crotch point to about the knee for a bit more leg room.
For the design changes, I altered the back pockets. The pattern calls for welt pockets and I was just too lazy preoccupied with the other aspects of my life to sew welt pockets, so instead I did patch pockets. Of course, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and did pocket flaps for the patch pockets as well.
By the time I finished drafting a pattern for a patch pocket, and then a pattern piece for a patch pocket flap, figuring out the placement of the patch pockets and then the placement of the patch pocket flaps (not to mention the button holes and sewing on the buttons) I should have just done the welt pockets!
I also added belt loops – thinking that maybe, perhaps, I would wear these pants with my shirt tucked in. I never tuck in my shirt, but I was thinking that maybe there could always be a first time.
The fabric is a soft corduroy fabric which I had purchased awhile back at the FIDM scholarship store.
This is the last of this fabric – I think I bought 5 yards of it.
I screwed up with the fly front – the zipper shows. Not sure what I did wrong but it is definitely wrong!
Of course, since the zip is pretty wonky, I will definitely not be wearing these trousers with my shirt tucked in. So much for utilizing those belt loops.
All in all, the trousers are very comfortable and I think even with my mistakes I will still wear them; however, right now, here in Southern California it is just too warm to be wearing corduroy. It is still short pant weather. So these trousers will be hibernating in my closet until cooler temperatures arrive.
I have also sewed up some other pants, which I will blog about in the next few days – as soon as I can get a good picture – if you know what I mean.
I also have already started my garment for the September Burda and so, my quest to sew one garment from each Burda for 2013 continues on.