January 1, 2013 by Janna Roznos
But, same old me.
I have been thinking about what I want to accomplish this coming year. What changes I want to make and how I am going to accomplish all this. So although I have never been very good at making New Year’s resolutions (nor keeping them if I did make them) I thought, why not try it this year. So my New Year “sewing” resolutions are as follows:
- Sew through my stash. As much of my stash as I can. If I am not going to sew the fabric I have, then I need to get rid of it. The Senior Center here where I live, takes donations of fabric for their quilt group and the doll making group. They may get a lot from me this coming year.
- Finish my PIGS. Projects-in-grocery-sacks. I have a few of those and I need to either finish them or toss them out.
- Sew with a plan. A SWAP. I have been reading other bloggers who have already set up their SWAP for 2013 – me? I have no idea; however, since my fabric stash has no plan it is a tiny bit difficult to sew with a plan that is if I am going to meet my #1 resolution. See my dilemma!
- Work more in the yard. This past year I have neglected my garden, so I need to spend more time outside (away from my sewing machine) and weed and tend to my roses. It will be good for me. Good for the plants and good for my dog.
- Clean out. Clean out. Clean out. I have already started this resolution; cleaning out cupboards/closets/drawers, etc. My plan (this was months ago) was once a week to drop a box off at the Goodwill and I was doing it, too. And, then the holidays hit and BAM! I tripped over the empty cardboard box and haven’t cleaned out anything since.
Yes, I know 4 & 5 are not really sewing related, but I find that other activities (like gardening) really helps me focus on something other than sewing especially, when I am befuddled by some technique. I can concentrate on something else and then come back to sewing with a refreshed view point.
So there are my resolutions for the New Year. Nothing too momentous and all very doable and hopefully, by meeting these resolutions, I will: 1) improve my sewing skills, 2) have many more custom garments to wear, 3) have a lovely garden again and 4)have neat and tidy house.
Here’s to 2013 and all that sews with it!