December 31, 2010 by Janna Roznos
I have never been one to make New Year’s Resolutions – probably because I would feel so guilty at breaking them so why make them! However, this year I am thinking maybe I should alter my thinking a bit: can New Year’s Resolutions be so bad? So here are mine:
- Loose weight. This is a classic New Year’s Resolution. I know I would like to loose a few pounds – okay, more like thirty pounds. But, will I? I think rather than trying to loose weight I should try and eat better – more fruits, more vegetables and less Doritos and exercise more. Begin my day with a brisk stroll around the block a few times.
- Save money. Having been accused, in the past, of floating the US economy with my spending, this year, rather than accumulating more sewing items (fabrics, threads, scissors, patterns and the like) I should just sew more. By sewing more then I will be less likely to shop.
- Sew what I have. I have a fabric stash that my not rival some that I have seen (You know how you are!) but I do have a lot of fabric. So, I plan on using what I have. I bought the fabric in the first place because I was simply intrigued with it and had to have it. Wouldn’t I like a garment made from it? You would think so – wouldn’t you?
- Make twelve jackets. This is going to be tough. I signed on for the ‘Make a Jacket a Month’ over the Stitcher’s Guild. Now, realistically I don’t need twelve jackets – Geez, I have a closet full of jackets – but I think (I hope) by setting this goal I will keep sewing (production) and not be in the accumulation (i.e. out shopping!).
- PIGS! I need to finish all my projects-in-grocery-sacks – PIGS! I did work on these for a bit but I have few left that are collecting dust in the corner of my sewing room. I could use that corner for something else then just forgotten sewing projects. Besides, there might be some treasures in there!
- Clean out and get organized. This resolution has already started. Over the Christmas break, while struggling through one of the worse head colds I have had to date, I cleaned out several bathroom cabinets and kitchen cabinets. Of course, I have the rest of the house to do, too. Even my sewing room deserves some cleaning out!
So there you have it – my New Year’s Resolutions. Will I keep them? Will I break them or better yet will my New Year’s Resolutions morph into new habits for me. We shall see.