June 17, 2010 by Janna Roznos
Another project I started but haven’t quite finished is Vogue 8454.
I decided to make this a vest rather than a jacket. I moved the darts from the side seam (where they were pointing to no particular place) to the armscye.
I made just two muslins – thinking this would be fine. I felt I had a good fit.
I chose my fabrics.
The grey gabardine is from my stash (via B. Black and Sons in LA) and the kimono fabric is from AH! Kimono.
But once I sewed up the vest, I discovered that I made the armscye much too small. So, I thread traced the new armscye and now must transfer these marks to the other side and then – very carefully – trim the excess from the garment. (Note to self: Must find sharp scissors!)
In retrospect, I should have made yet another muslin to verify the fit, but I was impatient (I hate doing muslins) and I wanted to get to the fashion fabric. (Note to self: A little pre-planning goes a long way!)
I do like the style of this pattern and I think this vest will be perfect this summer when a blazer is just too hot to wear. So, back to the Sewing Cave for me. (DH’s nickname for my sewing room).